What About Haiti
- Haiti shares an island in the Caribbean with the Dominican Republic. Its capital city is Port-au-Prince.
- 10.5 million people live in Haiti, and its official languages are Haitian Creole and French.
- A quarter of the population live in extreme poverty, meaning they live on under $1.25 a day.
- A devastating earthquake in 2010 killed more than 316,000 people and left 2.1 million people homeless.
- Most people (79% of the population) live in the countryside. Over half of these people do not have access to clean drinking water.
- Only 49% of adults can read and write, and over two thirds do not have a formal job.
- Only about 10% of all children at primary school go on to high school.